Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 05 - A thank you letter to someone who has changed your life

This is probably the hardest challenge day yet. So many people have impacted my life and I can learn something from every person I come in contact with. The easiest people to write to/about would have to be my parents and of course my husband. My parents were incredibly influential; I still learn from them and look up to them. My husband is the reason I want to be a better person, the reason I am in school, and I don’t know who or where I would be without him.

However, my letter is to someone who has been in my life since day one and might not even know how much they have changed my life. Well, she may know just a little.

Dear TLS #2 (My Wonderful Sister Trina),

Currently we are closer than ever and I couldn’t be more grateful for your friendship and love. I have always looked up to you because of your strength and take no prisoners attitude. You say what you mean and mean what you say; this is a trait we both share. Maybe we got it from Dad? Although, he is usually a bit nicer and we are J and watch out when we get together… oh boy! it’s like we have been close all of our lives, that doesn’t happen by accident. Did you know that you are the reason I am in Human Services? You have inspired me by the experiences you have endured and how you have handled everything.

I know I have told you in the past that I wish I would have answered the phone when you called that night. I sometimes think that the incident wouldn’t have happened if I answered, but I also know that way of thinking doesn’t change anything. You had a feeling and I just couldn’t believe that he was capable of something like that. It just shows me that you may feel you know someone but you never truly do unless you are with them every day. Seeing you go through this has made me look up to you more than ever. You are so strong and have shown me that this can happen to anyone. You have changed my view of women that have been faced with domestic violence. I now have a passion for helping women that have been in similar situations; maybe not even domestic violence but any situation where they may need a bit of rebuilding.

I know Mom has told us a little about her experience with abuse but I wasn’t there to see it and we know she left, so I don’t think it hit home. You showed me that no matter how strong and put together someone is, they may still be going through something. The past occurrences have allowed us to see the true character in some of our family members and truthfully, it is disgusting. It’s sad that it wasn’t surprising when their true selves started to shine through. Did you know that I have also learned from her? She is basically the person I do not want to be.

You may not see how amazing you are, but I do and I am lucky you have you as my Sister! You are such a great mother and you have raised the best nephews and niece that I could ever ask for. You are amazing to Mom and Dad and I know they appreciate everything you do for them. In some aspects we couldn’t be more different but I think we are also similar in so many areas. I couldn’t be more proud of you. Most importantly, I couldn’t be more proud to call you my sister. Thank you for being you and for showing me what true strength is.

Love ya,
Tiff

No comments: